Our family welcomed a baby earlier this year, and in the middle of my move from TX to CA I only sent her store bought presents :) Nothing wrong with that, but I could not let her first Christmas go by without sending something handmade for her :D
With my sister's upcoming birthday I wanted to make her something, here is what came of it -
I made this using worsted acrylic yarn and a K hook. I steam blocked it before packing it up :) I used moogly blog's fortune shawlette pattern, and Tamara is right - once you get the hang of it, it flies off the hook!
I made me some fingerless mitts to wear while I work on my computer. Soon enough, those were highjacked by my 3yo. So I made a pair for her :) Her size: 23 FDC, join. R2-8: one DC in each stitch. R9: DC upto where you want the thumb hole to be. CH5, skip 4 stitches and DC rest of the way. R10: DC in each DC, 4DC in the CH4 space. Finishing - made picots (so she knows what end to insert her hands from) CH3-slip stitch in the first chain and that creates the picot. Slip stitch into the next 3 DCs and create the next picot, so the picots are 3 DC apart.
My size: (Hook size I, Yellow Bernat yarn) 24 FDC, join to make a circle. Rounds 2-4: FPDC-BPDC to make the ribbing Round 5: one HDC in each DC Round 6: HDC in each HDC, through the "3rd" loop, so that the chain made by the 1st & 2nd loop is visible on the top of the fabric. R7-9: 1 DC in each stitch R10-12: DC in each DC, but increase 2 DC in each ros, evenly distributed across the row. (I needed some give to my mitts since I type a lot with these on. Try them on and see how it fits - you may like them snugger, or your hands may be narrower than mine :)) R13: DC upto where you want the thumb hole to be. Thumb hole is CH7, skip 6 stitches, and then DC the rest of the way. R14-15: one DC in each DC, 6DC in the CH6 space. Decrease 2 stitches in each row. Finishing: I made shells using skip one-5DC in next-skip next-slip stitch in next. It may happen that the number of stitches you have may not be a multiple of 4, in that case, just leave the 1/2/3 extra stitches flat (mine are on the palm side).
Last year, I made a crochet hat for my 2 year old. It was super dainty "hat" with a rim and a flower. I loved it, she did not!
Looking back (through her 2 year old eyes) I now realize that it was so “blah”!! No eyes, no ears!!
So this winter I am thinking like her and going with what she likes :) For halloween she wants to be a minion, so guess what I made ;)
Its a regular beanie, made with HDC spirals.
For the minion pattern, I went 9 rounds with yellow + 3 with black + 10 more with yellow + 3 with blue.
For the eye, I made a white disc with 2 rounds of DC (12-24) and sewed that on. Then I made one round of 6 SC in black and sewed that on top of the white. For his glasses (glass?!) I used heather grey yarn and did one round of surface crochet around the white, and then another round of HDC in each of those surface stitches, so the grey rim is 3D. And his smile was one line of surface SCs.
The hair is made of small yarn strands threaded through the top, and knotted.
And you know what, it is going to be Diwali soon, so stay tuned for my this year's card!!
I used to store my needles (the ones in use) along with my pins. First it was on the ubiquitous tomato, and these days on the magnet. The thing with the magnet is that the needle ends up at the very bottom and sometimes its easy to not see it because of all the pins, so what do you do - take out a new needle from the packet :)
Easy solution - the close cousin of the needle book, the needle ribbon/strap/whatchamacallit!
I took a long strip of flannel from my bundle of scraps and sewed the edges closed. Put a key ring at the end, and labelled it for what it was :) And hung it on one of the empty spool pins on my spool rack.