Wednesday, April 10, 2013

It's showering blessings!

Things have been quiet around here after that flurry of activity, attribute that to a short bout of strep/flu combined with a very hectic work-week. That, and we hosted the "Shreemanth" ceremony at our place - it's a traditional Indian baby-shower where your elders bless you and the baby. Since all our elders are scattered across continents, we did it 21st century style - on Google hangout!! Jatan's cousin sister in NJ came up with the idea, and it was awesome :)

Jatan & I were ex-hausss-ted by the time it was all over - it was no small feat to host a party for ten in my seventh month of pregnancy (we must be one of the rare parents-to-be who cooked and decorated for their own baby shower ;)). But it was so much fun, it was totally worth it.

The decor was simple - streamers, balloons, a few festoons and flowers. We tried not to over-do the pink. Food was awesome - dahi vada, paav bhaaji, gulaab jaamun and tres leches cake! And the "sheero" made for prasad turned out so well.


I got some of those gelatin beads that are tiny when you buy them but swell to ~1/2 inch size when soaked in water. The picture here doesn't do them justice, they are translucent and looked beautiful under lit tea lights in the mason jars.

I got the idea for this one on a blog. Cute little clothes (don't get me started on the amount of restraint I need to exercise every time we go to a baby store - they have such cute clothes that I want to buy 'em all!)

The Pooja was setup in the NE corner of my living room. I can't claim I understand everything about everything here, but here is what I know -

The coconut in the kalash and the Ganesh idol (you can't see him, he is behind the kalash) are a must for all Hindu ceremonies. The sprouts symbolize new life, and are offered to the Goddess during Shreemanth prayers. The black thread-like item you see in the white plate on the floor is the "raksha-potli" that Kaaki made for me. It was tied to my left wrist during the ceremony, and I should wear it till I deliver, and then leave it at the hospital - not bring it back home.


That's us talking to everyone on the computer :)

God-bharaai (literally translated, "Lap-filling) -

Traditionally, the expectant mother went to her mom's house to deliver and the Shreemanth was the in-law's way of faring her well. As times change, it becomes increasingly important to uphold tradition, because changing times don't change the fact that your elders love you, want the best for you and bless you always :)

And I don't particularly mind the presents either ;)

The Shreemanth is also a reminder that the clock is ticking and a brand new little person is going to join us soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

You may also like -