Wednesday, October 12, 2011

DIY - Bias tape

My mom taught me to use strips of diagonally cut cloth to finish off neck and armholes, but we did not have a name for it back home! We simply called it 'orebi' (=hindi for bias cut) strips.

I came across the name 'bias tape' a couple of times on the blogs that I followed, and wanted to know what it is. I also saw pre-packaged bias tape in several colors at Joanns. My curiosity piqued, I went to Mr. Google for help. 

And after some reading, using some and making some myself, I now know that bias tape is easy to use, versatile, and can be as fancy or as plain as YOU want it to be!
 
Long ago I picked up a polka dotted remnant at Joann’s and I was scratching my head to put to use, when the light bulb went off!! And I made me some cute bias tape :)

There are a whole bunch of bias tutorials out there, seek  and you shall find! I first made a continuous strip of bias fabric using the Dread Pirate Rodgers' tutorial, and ran that through this guy here -





There you go, a ‘reel’ of bias tape - 


And here is the tape, put to good use - 

One tip that I’d pass along is - use some spray starch while you are pulling the fabric out - makes it easier, the creases stay put and the tape is much nicer to look at.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

You may also like -